Sunday, August 12, 2018

The beginning

My first blog post ever. So it must be the beginning, or at least about the beginning, but the truth is I don't know when or where it really began - how or when the thought of riding from Lands End to John O'Groats first entered my mind. I'm sure I've known about it since childhood, at any rate it seems to be the quintessential iconic British bike ride that I've 'always' known about - but never had time to do. Until now. Well, not right now, but starting in a few short day's time.

So this is intended to be the diary of my ride. And maybe, leaving aside the question of when the thought of doing it first entered my mind, a bit about when it turned from thought and desire to decision and action, and what went before reaching the start line at Lands End. Long tours probably rarely begin with a spontaneous turn of the pedals from a location one had no particular intention of being in or starting from. I'm sure some have but this ride isn't one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment