Friday, August 24, 2018

Day 2 - Lanivet to Lapford

Well, as expected today was harder than yesterday.  It had to be, because I said Cornwall was easy.  Devon decided to show me what it can do. What it did was lots of punchy climbs, all the way to the end. This time I was often in the small ring, and glad for all my gears.  Of course, Devon and Cornwall have to be different. Do  you know that apparently in Devon the correct way of eating scones is considered to be to put the cream on your scones first, in Cornwall the jam?  You can learn a lot by travelling.

The stats:

Distance cycled: 69.5 miles
Ascent: 4,850'
Distance from Lands End: 136.8 miles

Do you eat cheese?  We passed the Cathedral Cheese factory (other brands of cheddar are available) along the way.  Nick noticed but I didn't, and wasn't with him at the time.  In fact I wasn't with him the whole time, except the first 10 miles along the Camelford trail.  Once we hit the first climb I passed him, it kept going up and up and I'm afraid I kept going, I actually find it hard cycling slower than my own natural pace uphill (which is not to say I cycle fast up steep hills - I don't), and the weather forecast didn't inspire me to stop and wait. It was a day with lots of showers and one fairly heavy spell of rain, but not a bad day on the whole.  We've agreed anyway that we'll cycle at our own pace.

The route today took in a few pleasant cycle trails and was mainly on very quiet roads.  The only traffic being farm vehicles, which took up the whole road width.  At one point I quickly did a U-turn and headed a short distance back up the road to a gate to let a few past going the other way!  There was no choice about that!

Dinner at The Old Malt Scoop Inn. 


No comments:

Post a Comment