Sunday, August 19, 2018

Nearly packed

There was a time in my life where I spent several years travelling.  I never needed to pack anything because everything I owned fitted in a single bag.  This was before the time when lots of electronics were needed to show the world that you'd been somewhere and tell them about it as you went along, adding their own weight.  When portable computers did finally come along, they took up the space of a small suitcase just by themselves.  Only old people like me will remember those days.  Who recalls the DOS prompt? :-)  I didn't even have a camera.

Now, a trip of two weeks has taken me hours to decide what to take.  I need clothes for when it's normal pleasant cycling weather, for when it's wet, and when it's cold - and that's just for on the bike. I need clothes for off the bike, and a change of clothes, at least the bike clothes even if I wash one and wear one each day.  I need my notebook  (ie PC, not simply the pen and paper variety), my gopro, chargers and cables.  Toiletries and first aid kit. Bike tools, spare tubes, Co2 and pump. I probably don't need to go on, but it all adds up.  Horribly quickly. To about 8kg, including the panniers themselves. My bike just doubled in weight.

Now this was supposed to be a lightweight 'credit card touring' type of trip, but it would hardly have come to much more if I was camping. The only things missing are a tent, mat, sleeping bag and stove, and I have all of those and it would probably only have added another 2kg for my lightweight hiking kit items.  In fact probably not even that as I would have had to leave some other things out to make room for them!  Where did it all go wrong? :-)

On Saturday I did a final 'shakedown' ride of about 50 miles with just one loaded pannier to try everything out. Having one pannier was only a slight handicap, two will certainly be more. Nick was braver, he coincidentally did 73 miles with his full load.   Today I picked up the train tickets.  The start is rushing toward us.

No comments:

Post a Comment